The Tainted Poet's YA Book Review:

A YA book review blog for anything out of the ordinary-- Paranormal, Supernatural, Fantasy and Sci-Fi. Complete with Reviews, Interviews and Contests-- So stay and have a look!

Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Interview: Cyn Balog


Cyn Balog is the Author of the upcoming release Fairy Tale, which hits bookshelves June 23rd, 2009.

Questions on Fairy Tale:

Tainted Poet: First off, Could you please give us a brief summery of Fairy Tale?
Cyn Balog: Fairy Tale is about a girl who discovers that her boyfriend is Fairy King, due to leave her forever and join the fairy world on his 16th birthday. Because she can't bear to lose him, she plots to keep him human.

TP: Did any particular personal experiences influence Fairy Tale?
CB: Well, I can't say I know any fairies. But when I was 16 I thought I knew exactly what I would be doing for the rest of my life, and who I would be doing it with. And none of the plans I'd made then actually ended up coming into reality... even the ones that I was SO sure about.

TP: A few authors have said that they put a bit of themselves in their characters. Is this the case with you?
CB: Morgan is probably who I would be if I had the nerve. She has a psychic power, which makes her confident in herself. Maybe if I had that same power I would be a little more outspoken and self-assured, but I'm generally pretty shy and goofy.

TP: If you had to choose a character in Fairy Tale that is most like you, who would it be?
CB: Probably Pip; he's like, a stranger in this world, and sometimes that's how I feel... like everything I do is weird! That's probably why I write for YAs-- I feel like I haven't been around this world long enough to write like an adult. Maybe when I am 100 I will graduate into that.

TP: Is there a sequel or any sort of companion novel planned for Fairy Tale?
CB: Nope. Not unless someone bangs down my door demanding it. Which is why I am not telling anyone where I live.

TP: I had heard the original title for Fairy Tale was Fairy Lust. What was the cause for the change?
CB: I loved the title Fairy Lust, and had it even before I wrote the book. But there was concern about a book with "lust" in the title being in the YA section. I know Fairy Tale is not as catchy, but I'm hoping it's for the best!

TP: Knowing why it was changed, would you still keep the name Fairy Lust if you could?
CB: Well, since I still call it Fairy Lust, it would probably be easier on my brain. Whenever I hear Fairy Tale, I don't think it's my book they're talking about. It's kind of generic.

TP: Any favorite characters?
CB: I may be the only one, but I kind of love the dad in Fairy Tale, who lives for General Hospital and is otherwise clueless about his daughter's life. It's really sad when you amuse yourself and nobody else, so I hope someone else out there likes him, too.

TP: Why did you decide on a paranormal/fairy theme?
CB: I wrote a YA novel before that had a sci-fi theme and found it just wrote itself. High concept novels just write themselves, so I wanted to try something in the paranormal vein. Fairies weren't huge when I started, but I liked them. My only intro to fairies at the time had been Disney fairies. I got a kick of imagining a big, macho football player trying to explain to his friends that he was a fairy.

TP: Is there message or theme that you really want expressed with Fairy Tale?
CB: Just that nothing is ever set in stone. And sometimes, things happen because they are really for the best, even though we may not be able to see it at the time.

Other Questions:

TP: What is the main source of your literary inspiration?
CB: Ice Cream.

TP: Are you working on or planning anything right now?
CB: I have a book called Sleepless, which is due out in 2010. It's about a Sandman who falls in love with a mortal girl whose sleep he controls.

TP: How much time a week do you devote to writing and its different processes?
CB: Not very much. I had a full-time job, a toddler, and am expecting another baby, so I would sometimes only get a few minutes on my lunch hour. However, I was recently laid off from my job and am hoping to find more time in the future (though I will probably have less money for ice cream).

TP: What YA novel are you most looking forward to in 09/10?
CB: I am just about to get my hands on an arc of CATCHING FIRE, which I can't wait for. That and THE DEAD TOSSED WAVES by Carrie Ryan, since I loved THE FOREST OF HANDS AND TEETH. Plus, my critique partner, Mandy Hubbard, has a new book out this month, PRADA AND PREJUDICE, and I can't wait to see how much it has changed since I first read it!

TP: Are there any particular authors that inspire you?
CB: Judy Blume and Stephen King were my initial inspiration. Now I am in a group of 60 debut authors, www.feastofawesome.com, and every day they inspire me.

TP: Any particular foods or drinks you like to have when you are writing or planning?
CB: Ice Cream and Twix Bars. I just ate... um, a few too many of them.

TP: Do you listen to music when you write? If so, what do you listen to?
CB: Nope, I like complete silence!

TP: Where can we find your website?
CB: www.cynbalog.com

TP: Do you have a favorite Fairy Tale?
CB: Cinderella-- because that was my nickname growing up. I watched that Disney movie about a gazillion times when I was a kid.

TP: What is a question that no one ever asks, but you wish would be asked?
CB: What is your favorite cereal? Banana Nut Crunch. I eat it every morning or else I'll have a bad day.

TP: Any last last words?
CB: Rosebud.

END.

Don't forget to get a copy of Fairy Tales this month when it hits bookstores!
Thank you Cyn for answering my questions. It really was a joy interviewing you!


9 comments:

  1. Great interview! I love the plot! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome interview girl! I can't wait to read Fairy Tale!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great interview! Fairy Tale sounds really good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ice cream and twix bars? Yummmmm. This lady knows how to pick her terats! xD

    Kickass interview, btw. I've been wanting to read this book ever since I saw the cover-so pretty!-and then read its synopsis. Sigh, why did they have to change the title? It was fine the way it originally was! :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the final words, "Rosebud." And, I've read a couple other bloggers mention "Fairy Tale." I think I might have to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lol, I totally love the "Rosebud", that's just too good.

    I have to say, I like Fairy Lust as a title too (of course, I typed Dairy Lust, but it's 7:46am and I haven't slept, so what can you expect?) and the countdown widget I have for Fairy Tale on my blog is called that.

    ReplyDelete

Don't hesitate to tell me what you think! I appreciate all types of feedback, so don't be shy! ;)

Related Posts with Thumbnails