The Tainted Poet's YA Book Review:

A YA book review blog for anything out of the ordinary-- Paranormal, Supernatural, Fantasy and Sci-Fi. Complete with Reviews, Interviews and Contests-- So stay and have a look!

Friday, March 11, 2011

Captivate by Carrie Jones

Rating: 4.5
Release Date: January 5, 2010
Age Level: 14+
Publisher: Bloomsbury
Pages: 288

Recommend? I recommend this series to anyone who loves paranormal romances! If you've read Need but are unsure if you want to continue-- I promise you-- you won't regret reading Captivate.
Synopsis:

Zara and her friends knew they hadn't solved the pixie problem for good. Far from it. The king's needs grow deeper every day he's stuck in captivity, while his control over his people gets weaker. It's made him vulnerable. And now there's a new king in town.

A turf war is imminent, since the new pixie king, Astley, is moving in quickly. Nick nearly killed him in the woods on day one, but Zara came to his rescue. Astley swears that he and Zara are destined to be together, that he's one of the good guys. Nick isn't buying it, though Zara isn't as sure -- despite herself, she wants to trust the new king. But it's a lot more than her relationship with Nick that is at stake. It's her life -- and his.
My Thoughts:

Captivate is exactly as its name describes. I read this book in one sitting. All I can say is that I definitely underestimated this series-- Captivate went above and beyond Need. Like Need, it kind of began slow, but picked up pace really fast. The next thing you know your in this tornado that is Captivate and you just have to keep reading! Captivate was not only action packed, but emotionally enthralling.

I have to say I switched teams in Captivate. You are introduced to a new character-- Astley-- and I have to say I'm in love. Nick's character isn't as strong in this installment but the characters are all back and I love them just as much as before. There are so many secrets and lies-- even between friends-- but I feel that characters like Issie really glue everyone together. There is a particular secret that Nick has been keeping that really bothered me-- so much that I really kind of dislike Nick now. The characters in this series are so real that they really tie the story together. They make it that much more believable! Especially since there is a whole bunch of new-weird things introduced in this book.

So much happens in Captivate it is amazing that Carrie Jones was able to fit it all in! I wish it was even longer so that she could have gone more into detail during certain scenes. I can't wait to begin Entice, the third installment in the series!

**Reviewed copy was an ARC**

Details:

Cover: 4.5
Plot: 4.5
Characters: 5.0
Writing: 4.0

Source: Received from Publisher.

14 comments:

  1. Aaahhh! I want to read this book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read Need, but I ddin't really loved it. This one sounds like its better than the first book! I need to think about it. Great review. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm, while Captivate sounds like it would be (a lot) better than Need was I'm just not sure that I'll bother reading it. Although, your review nearly makes me want to. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooo, this sounds like it steps up the game here a little bit. :) So glad to hear you where caught with this book of the series. :) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. WELL THIS IS GOOD THAT IT PICKED UP MOMENTUM AS TO WHERE TWILIGHT'S SAGA FELL OFF IN NEW MOON!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i think this ones cover is the prettiest out of all of them... great review, looking forward to reading this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sound interesting. Thanks for the review haven;t hear about this book, but look interesting. ƸӜƷ

    ReplyDelete
  8. I guess if you give this series a chance, it can grow on you ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Alright, great. Now I'm even more eager to read the books. It sounds really interesting and hopefully the series has moved farther away from the Twilight-esque theme. Another fantastic review!

    ReplyDelete
  10. A book full of action! You sold me. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This book sounds good, it's already on my TBR pile. Thanks for this review :)

    Syki
    sykorova.p@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I haven't read the first book and I don't want to read spoilers...but i'm realy curious about the first one since your rating is 4.5...

    Sorry about bad english...:-/

    Your blog is sooo good, btw. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. A good review to an even better review!
    Makes me want to read this series all the more ;)

    ReplyDelete

Don't hesitate to tell me what you think! I appreciate all types of feedback, so don't be shy! ;)

Related Posts with Thumbnails