The Tainted Poet's YA Book Review:

A YA book review blog for anything out of the ordinary-- Paranormal, Supernatural, Fantasy and Sci-Fi. Complete with Reviews, Interviews and Contests-- So stay and have a look!

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Illusions by Aprilynne Pike


Rating: 4.75/5.0
Release Date: May 3rd, 2011
Age Level: Young Adult 14+
Publisher: HarperTeen
Pages: 384

Recommend? I definitely recommend the Wings series! Illusions was a fantastic third novel in this increasingly enticing series. I highly recommend reading Wings and Spells before reading Illusions.

Synopsis:

"I don't do patrols, I don't go hunting, I just stick close to you. You live your life. I'll keep you safe," Tamani said, sweeping a lock of hair from her face. "Or die trying."

Laurel hasn't seen Tamani since she begged him to let her go last year. Though her heart still aches, Laurel is confident that David was the right choice.

But just as life returns to normal, Laurel realizes that a hidden enemy lies in wait. Once again, Laurel must turn to Tamani to protect and guide her, for the danger that now threatens Avalon is one that no faerie thought would ever be possible. And for the first time, Laurel cannot be sure that her side will prevail.
My Thoughts:

Illusions, the third novel in Aprilynne Pike's Wings series, was just as amazing as its predecessor. While Spells, the second novel, is still my favorite of the series (I loved the Avalon setting), Illusions comes in a very close second.

Those who have yet to read Wings or Spells, tread carefully. This is the Third book in the series and plot WILL be spoiled (unintentionally and nothing more then you would learn from the synopsis) if you continue reading.

I cannot say his name enough. Tamani. Tamani! TAMANI! (Ok, I won't fangirl rant this time...) Those who are fans of Tamani will definitely enjoy his presence throughout the novel. I loved how the POV shifted between Laurel's and Tamani's so that you had a grasp on exactly how both of them were truly feeling. I definitely would have had issues with Tamani getting so close to Yuki (the new girl introduced in Illusions) had I not known through his POV that he had no real intentions/feelings for her. Being able to get into his head definitely saved me a few headaches.

The relationship between David and Laurel gets really complicated when Tamani is thrown into their everyday life and Laurel begins to struggle through some pretty hard decisions. Personally, I agree with her on most of them towards the end. I love how her mom is able to pick up on her inner angst and try and help her work through it. I love that they emphasize her closeness with her mom after all the past issues there. It was something small that I believe made a huge impact on the believability of Laurel's world and life.

Talk about a cliffhanger-- If you thought Spells ended on a cliffhanger, I actually kept flipping back and forth between the last page and the acknowledgements trying to comprehend how the book ended without me noticing. I had read the whole book in one sitting and just as things were beginning to unfold, it ends! I was hanging off every last word, too!

Illusions was a fantastic third novel in the Wings series and now I am holding my breath waiting for the fourth!

Details:

Cover: 5.0
Plot: 5.0
Characters: 5.0
Writing: 4.0

Source: Purchased from store.

2 comments:

  1. I still need to read the second book in this series, but now I know I really shouldn't give up on this series. ;) Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, you have really been enjoying this series. It is great to see you are still enjoying it soo. :) Thank you for the review!

    ReplyDelete

Don't hesitate to tell me what you think! I appreciate all types of feedback, so don't be shy! ;)

Related Posts with Thumbnails