The Tainted Poet's YA Book Review:

A YA book review blog for anything out of the ordinary-- Paranormal, Supernatural, Fantasy and Sci-Fi. Complete with Reviews, Interviews and Contests-- So stay and have a look!

Thursday, April 5, 2012

Secrets and Shadows by Shannon Delany


Rating: 4.0/5.0
Release Date: February 15, 2011
Age Level: Young Adult 14+
Publisher: St. Martin's Griffin
Pages: 320

Recommend? This is book two in the series 13 to Life.

Synopsis:

Nothing’s simple when you run with werewolves.

Jess Gillmansen thinks she’s seen it all but her eyes are about to be opened to even more danger and a reality far more paranormal than she’s suspected. With Jess’s realization that the Rusakovas’ mother is still alive and imprisoned, the group’s choices become harder and trust more important. Lines are drawn and relationships change as the broken Rusakova family struggles to reunite long enough to free their mother and people who Jess always just took to be normal people show themselves to be much, much more. (Synopsis from Amazon).
My Thoughts:

Secrets and Shadows was a fantastic continuation in the 13 to Life series. Emotional, stressful, and funny all at the same time, Secrets and Shadows was an emotional roller coaster. I devoured this book in just a few days and it definitely left me hungry for more. It is such a page turner that definitely kept me reading the whole way through.

What I really loved about Secrets and Shadows is how easily it is to relate to Jess. She loves to read (vampire novels! Who doesn't?), ride horses (maybe this is just me, but I love to ride English!), and the fact she is just an ordinary girl pushed into an extraordinary setting. It is every regular girls dream-- Though, in Jess's case, it is not so simple. With messages of BEWARE showing up everywhere, Jess has a lot to worry about and even less people to trust.

While the novel was really excellent, there were a few flaws. I had a couple issues with the characters (which I don't want to go into in case I spoil anything) but they did throw me off the book a bit. I'm also hesitant to say the plot is perfect-- it definitely has its flaws. However, the novel more then makes up for these small problems.

The ending of Secrets and Shadows really threw me off-- I was not expecting that! It would be a spoiler to state what I am referring to, but trust me... it's pretty crazy. I cannot wait to read the next installment Bargains and Betrayals, which I have waiting on my shelf right now!

Details:

Cover: 4.0
Plot: 4.0
Characters: 4.0
Writing: 4.0

Source: Purchased from store.

1 comment:

  1. Oh I remember you loved the first book, and so glad to see you enjoyed this one so highly as well. :D And must be some sort of ending to throw you off. ;D Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Don't hesitate to tell me what you think! I appreciate all types of feedback, so don't be shy! ;)

Related Posts with Thumbnails